Monday, April 18, 2011

Em's Discharge Tie-dying

or reverse tie-dying.
Using bleach to take out the colour of the fabric I love the outcome of doing this and it's so economical. I actually came across this one day by accident when I spilt some Domestos on my dress and bathmat while cleaning. I had heard of tie-dying with bleach so did the mat and dress to begin with and have done a few other things since. Much cheaper than dyes. I love the earthy look that black fabric creates. I have yet to try denim but have seen that come out well too.


You need to use natural fabrics such as cotton. Different fabrics work differently so experiment. These are two different tablecloths that I made with black cotton fabric. They both came out differently. One not being affected with the dye anywhere the bands touched, creating a very contrasted effect. I like the softer brown colour that came out on my first go but no matter what I did with the second tablecloth it would come out contrasty. (diluted the bleach, soaked longer etc) I wish I wrote down times and ratios but I don't know. I made these tablecloths as presents for people months apart.

1st tablecloth:





2nd tablecloth:


Other ideas:

DIY Shibori

Bleached T-shirt designs

Screen printed bleach wigs

Dying with bleach tutorial

Or what about stockings? Will have to try this one..

Letter scarf- use acetate and light sensitive dye for similar effect

No comments:

Post a Comment